Orthodontic treatment can start as soon as your first visit with Dr. Farrow and Dr. Dewbre and our amazing team. During your complimentary orthodontic consultation, Dr. Farrow and Dr. Dewbre will present your orthodontic needs. Our treatment coordinator and doctor will discuss what type of orthodontic treatment is right for you or your child, go over financial options, and review your insurance benefits. Your braces can either be placed that same day as a convenience for you and your family, or scheduled at a later date to meet your scheduling needs.
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
If you have traditional braces, you will need to visit our Edmond, Oklahoma City, or Clinton, OK orthodontic office for adjustments and wire changes. Your treatment may also include rubber bands to correct your bite, with both Invisalign and braces. Wires are adjusted throughout orthodontic treatment until the bite and tooth position has been finalized by your orthodontist. When your braces are removed, we will provide retainers. They are a vital aspect of the straightening process. Our recommendation is nighttime retainer wear for a lifetime.
If you choose Invisalign® clear aligners, we will get an iTero® digital impression of your teeth. The doctors then work with a high tech software to digitally move your teeth into the precise position, and from that, custom aligners are fabricated.
Common Orthodontic Problems
Most people will benefit from orthodontic treatment. There are a number of common things we see that warrants orthodontic treatment:
- Deep bites occur if your upper teeth cover more than 20% of the lower teeth. This can lead to adverse where on the lower front teeth in adults and criteria discrepancies between in growing children.
- You may also need my braces for significant overbites or horizontal over jet excess.
- Often times, young children have upper teeth that protrude—this is a definitive need for orthodontic treatment early. Treatment will be focused to get the protruding teeth back out of harm’s way to prevent damage to these teeth
- Cross bites occur when the upper or lower teeth fit on the wrong side of the opposing arch. This can cause growth abnormalities and bite dysfunction.
- Excess spacing can be easily corrected with orthodontics and is very efficiently corrected with Invisalign braces.
- Open bite occurs when the teeth do not properly overlap. This can cause problems with eating and chewing, and may lead to TMJ problems. This can be corrected with braces, Invisalign, or surgical correction depending on the severity.
- Severe crowding is an indication for orthodontic treatment. Severe crowding can lead to problems with hygiene and keeping teeth clean. Crowding does not resolve with time; it only worsens. Orthodontic treatment can resolve this severe crowding with the use of Invisalign braces or metal braces.
- Underbites occur when the upper teeth fit inside the lower teeth or the lower jaw is more protrusive if the lower. This is a condition that, depending on the severity, is corrected with Invisalign, braces, or a combination of those and surgery. Left uncorrected, this condition can lead to adverse wear of the teeth and jaw joint (TMJ) problems.
Length of Treatment
Orthodontic treatment has become much more efficient, more comfortable, and takes much less time. Our typical treatment time is 18 months or less. . Some patients require a two-phase treatment, in which phase one will usually take 12 months and phase two about 15 to 18 months. Excitedly, gone are the days of three to five year treatment with braces!
The frequency at which you visit our office for adjustments and monitoring will depend on your treatment method. We see our Invisalign typically about every 12 weeks. Our braces patients come in every 8-10 weeks for the first 8 to 12 months and then every 4-6 weeks to finish things up in the last 6 months.
When it comes to your orthodontic treatment, Dr. Farrow and Dr. Dewbre make the difference. Our doctors are perfectionists and strive to make your orthodontic experience an enjoyable, memorable, and life-changing journey. They truly care about ensuring your comfort. Over the course of your treatment, you will feel like a genuine part of the Farrow & Dewbre orthodontic family.